There are three basic colors. They are listed in order of most dominant to least.
- Ash Red
- Black (more often called Blue or Wild Type)
There are only 3 colors, but several factors can tweak what we see. Even though we call the wild type “blue” in fact it is an optical illusion and truly a blue bird, but that is just too hard to explain so I’m calling that group “blue” even though it is a misnomer.
Various colors and what they really are “under the covers”
|Red Bar||Blue Bar|
|Red Check||Blue Check|
|White bird with red grizzle||White bird with black grizzle|
1) Brown cock x blue hen = all blue sons carrying brown; all brown daughters
2) Blue cock x brown hen = all blue sons carrying brown; all blue daughters
3) Blue cock x blue hen = all blue sons; all blue daughters
4) Blue cock x ash-red hen = all ash-red sons carrying blue; all blue daughters
5) Ash-red cock x blue hen = all ash-red sons carrying blue; all ash-red hens
6) Brown cock x ash-red hen = all ash-red sons carrying brown; all brown hens.
7) Ash-red cock x brown hen = all ash-red sons carrying brown; all ash-red hens A footnote from Frank Mosca: “in females sex, dilute and color are always passed down together” Page break